Skip to Content

Is Your Rental Property a Potential Hazard to Your Tenants?

Staunton Tenant Looking at Mold in His Rental HomeYour tenants need to feel secure and at home in their rental property, as a Staunton property manager. Reducing vacancies and improving the property’s cash flow can be achieved by ensuring a tenant’s safety. But some potentially dangerous circumstances can arise without your knowledge if you don’t take extra care. Let’s take a look at five of the most common household hazards that, if left unchecked, could cause your tenants’ serious illness or even death. It’s crucial to be aware of the typical household hazards and how to avoid them if you want to make sure that your rental property is safe for your tenants.

Toxic Mold

Mold grows in wet places where there is a food source, such as cardboard or paper. The first symptom most people typically notice when they encounter mold is typically a musty odor. Molds come in a wide variety, the majority of which are unsightly but not particularly harmful to people. However, black mold, also known as Stachybotrys, can be toxic. In severe cases, it may result in anaphylactic shock, allergic reactions, and respiratory distress.

The good news is that mold growth can be easily stopped in a rental property. Mold can be avoided by simply installing a dehumidifier in the basement, opening the windows, or running exhaust fans in steamy bathrooms. Teach your tenants about mold prevention and the dangers associated with mold growth. Regularly looking for mold in your home is another thing you should do. If the worst happens and you discover black mold, it’s crucial to call a specialist right away so they can safely remove it and address the moisture issue that initially caused the mold.


It’s undeniable that asbestos is a significant issue, particularly for older rental properties. However, asbestos is comparatively safe as long as it is kept inside walls or other closed spaces and is not disturbed. If asbestos is present in the walls of your rental property, you must inform your tenant not to drill holes or otherwise create openings in the walls, even to hammer in a nail. Asbestos can enter a home through even small cracks and cause mesothelioma cancer.

Only qualified professionals should remove asbestos. You should not remove asbestos yourself or permit a tenant to do so in order to avoid injury and asbestos-related illness.

Lead Poisoning

Lead is another potentially dangerous substance that could be found in older rental properties. Prior to its prohibition in 1978, lead paint was commonly used in older homes. Even if you have painted over the old paint, as homes age, paint can flake off and expose your tenants’ children, pets, and other family members to toxic lead. There are some locations where lead poisoning can also be caused by old pipes.

To avoid lead poisoning, you should conduct a thorough lead inspection of the plumbing and water in your rental property. Also, if your home was constructed before 1978, it’s a good idea to have the paint removed and tested by trained professionals. The only way to ensure that your tenants are safe from lead exposure is to completely remove the old paint from all affected surfaces, though painting over lead paint is a temporary stop-gap.


In the United States, house fires happen far too frequently. Unfortunately, fires in the home can be fatal. 2,620 civilians per year die in home fires, which account for over 346,000 annual incidents. Oil and other ingredients cause cooking fires, whereas dryer lint is the leading cause of laundry room fires. Other significant causes of home fires include broken appliances, electrical problems, and unattended candles.

There are numerous things you should do to keep your rental property free from fires. First, make every effort to ensure that your rental property is free from electrical problems and have the dryer vent cleaned once a year. Second, educate your tenants on fire safety and offer them fire extinguishers, working smoke detectors, and other essentials. These easy steps will help you significantly lower the likelihood that your rental property will catch fire.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a typical household risk. Burning wood, propane, gasoline, charcoal, and other fuels produce the colorless, odorless gas known as carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide can accumulate in a closed space and cause carbon monoxide poisoning when these fuels are used in appliances and engines. Headaches, nauseous symptoms, blurred vision, and confusion are symptoms of mild carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to irreversible tissue damage or even death in extreme cases.

By performing routine maintenance and educating tenants, carbon monoxide poisoning can be avoided. It’s crucial to have your appliances and fireplaces serviced on a regular basis if they use any of the fuels mentioned above. Install carbon monoxide detectors all through your rental property to warn you and your tenants of potential dangers. If your rental property has a garage or if your tenants have a propane grill or heater, it’s a good idea to inform them that they must never leave a car running or use a propane device in an enclosed area. Simple safety instructions could prevent your tenants from becoming ill or even worse.

A big job that can take a lot of time is making sure your tenants are safe and healthy. Why not allow specialists to assist? At Real Property Management Summit, our comprehensive property management and tenant relations programs are designed to keep your property and tenants safe. Call us at 540-315-8090 to learn more about our services, or contact us online today!

We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.

The Neighborly Done Right Promise

The Neighborly Done Right Promise ® delivered by Real Property Management, a proud Neighborly company

When it comes to finding the right property manager for your investment property, you want to know that they stand behind their work and get the job done right – the first time. At Real Property Management we have the expertise, technology, and systems to manage your property the right way. We work hard to optimize your return on investment while preserving your asset and giving you peace of mind. Our highly trained and skilled team works hard so you can be sure your property's management will be Done Right.

Canada excluded. Services performed by independently owned and operated franchises.

See Full Details